Regarding "stand alone" offline mode

Regarding "stand alone" offline mode

Postby Brash » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Something you said regarding implementing a singleplayer offline standalone mode, suddenly sunk in for me. I think you explained to someone that this worked by automatically setting up a little server setup on your own PC (only accessible to you). Would this mean an easier way to get into modding? Because sometimes when I consider looking into it, I get a little intimidated by all the steps to set up a server, especially when I see Linux users struggling with it (which means those of us lazy on WEindows will probably struggle even more heh). I used to do complicated things when I was younger but I have a harder time anymore with anything that has more than 2-3 steps involved ^_^ It seemed there should be some way to do an automated setup that simplified and let people get right into "creating" and sharing. If I recall, in Neverwinter Nights this was a fairly "easy" thing. And since Lugdunon will really flourish when people start creating and sharing new alternate worlds, I would think this is a high priority (maybe not an *early* priority, just a high priority before release.) Also I seem to recall some games that simplified a "LAN mode" for people that was a little easier than running their own server, and let them invite say 2-4 friends.

One or two really outstanding player-made projects are what could make or break Lugdunon's launch into the marketplace ...
Last edited by Brash on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brash

Re: Regarding "stand alone" offline mode

Postby lugdunon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm

You hit the nail right on the head with this.

The standalone client will attempt to make running a local server, sharing, and modding an easier affair, with the standalone server still allowing for more customized and performance oriented applications. I will also be adding in the ability to flag your server as public. Public servers will register themselves on startup and appear in a public server list that will be toggleable with the current server list (which will remain as a 'favorites' list) when a player logs into the client.

Those two options should hopefully make things a little easier. :)

Thanks for bringing this up, it makes me excited to get features like these rolling!
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby lugdunon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:34 pm

I started work on this in earnest last night, after finally hitting upon a solution (that alone took an evening + 4 attempts) I am very pleased with what I have so far.

If things continue as smoothly as they have today, expect something to play around with early next week.

lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby PsychoNexus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Lol behind the first screen it's writed "DestroyBrowser" :lol:
PsychoNexus

Postby lugdunon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:19 pm

I was hoping someone would catch that. ;)
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions