Terraforming

Terraforming

Postby WondahFish » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:00 am

To what degree will a normal player be able to alter their surroundings?
As in: dig/fill tunnels/holes and dam rivers
WondahFish

Re: Terraforming

Postby lugdunon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:38 am

Very good question.

Currently, as far as terraforming is concerned, non-GM players can till and untill earth, place sod, and place slate. The sod and slate placement mechanic can be extended to support the editing of other terrain layer in the future.

Other things that players can do that has a permanent affect on the game world include placing items (I have seen players use fencing to block off access to established mines and other resources), and the digging up of resource nodes like trees and flowers in order to replant and lay claim to them.

One thing I would like to add is the ability for players to 'prospect' or 'dowse' to discover new mines. They would then be free to place a mine entrance building upon the opening to the mine in order to control access. In addition to that have also toyed around with the idea of allowing players to excavate tunnels in new mines.

Damming rivers is one thing I haven't thought about. It is an intriguing idea though, and would probably be fun to implement (especially since I would have to come up with a good implementation of the concept of water 'flow'.
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions