Crafting Balance issues

Crafting Balance issues

Postby Brash » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 am

May not be a big deal, just bringing it up for community discussion. It's more an interesting philosphical discussion than practical discussion, mayhaps :p

Carpenters will always be poor, since wood is a "cheap" raw material and anything processed with wood has very little value. On the other hand, they can collect their raw resources very easily -- but it is time consumiong and uses up a lot of stamina.

Goidsmiths will always be rich, since they deal with high value raw materials and anything they make, is worth a LOT of cash. But their raw resource is very scarce. However they don't need a lot of time or stamina or skillpoints to process it. (Mining is a separate issue since anyone can mine gold/silver)

For most players, this won't matter because they will make crafters they "need" for useful items, rather than from an economical standpoint (there is not even any evidence that player run economy will ever be an important element). So a general purpose crafting character will probably have both carpentry and goldsmithing (and as many other craft skills as they can cram onto one character). But a player with a "single" character,, will want to be more "picky" about what side crafting skills they add if any, and probably will want to be goldsmiths and not carpenters, even though carpenters are useful (they can sell their goldsmith items and buy carpenter's crafted goods pretty cheap, perhaps).

I have not yet checked on the "value" of a crafted house, but it probably is not very high despite being a lot of effort to make, since all of the resources are "cheap" but time consuming ... a goldsmith could probably purchase with a single gold chain, a half dozen houses =/ (I'll have to test that theory as I am not sure it is true.) Also the carpenter needed to invest 3 tiers of skill points to make the house, the goldsmith only needs a single point into the skill to make the chain. (well, actually that is a blacksmith skill so nevermind -- lets say then a cut ruby :D or when we get ruby rings added)
Brash

Re: Crafting Balance issues

Postby lugdunon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

The algorithm I use for calculating a crafted item's worth factors in the crafting tier as a cost multiplier, that way houses (on a 5x5 grid, 3rd tier) will cost much more than a cut ruby (on a 3x3 grid, 1st tier). Of course, this is generally to be used as a guideline and individual item costs can be altered on a case by case basis if need be.

I believe the most expensive house has a base price of 394g 20s.

I will need to take a look at crafting as a whole, to see if there are any gaping holes in utility vs cost benefit.
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Brash » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 am

Ok that is good to hear that houses are worth more than a stack of flour ^_^

I think houses then are a boon to carpenters since they can trade those for many other player made items they need, I suppose they can even sell direct to vendors to become instantly rich hmm ... anyway I no longer feel sorry for dedicated carpenters!
Brash

Postby lugdunon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 am

I also just realized that I may not be factoring in to account that some recipes produce more than one of an item into the base cost of that item. I'll need to fix that as well.

Also, plate armor may be getting more difficult to make in the near future.
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion