Problems with server setup

Problems with server setup

Postby Nathanl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey, im new!
Great concept you are working on! I enjoyed playing so far.
I instantly wanted to try this game when i first noticed it, as i'm working on a 'similar' game for quite a while now.
It's not like i want to steal or copy. My game will be single player only and pretty nooby aswell :D

I managed to play on your public server without any flaws, but when i tried setting up my own to try out that GM stuff, i encountered a problem.
I edited the server.cfg, put my details in and tried to run the server. Everytime i try to start the run.bat it gives an error and shuts down so fast, that i cant even read the error message.

Help appreciated :)
Nathanl

Re: Problems with server setup

Postby lugdunon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Nathanl,

Welcome, and thanks so much!

First off, do you have java installed?

Also, are you using your account name and password for the su.name/su.password? Also, what was the value of your host property?

You could also try running it from a command console to see what errors are produced.

Please let me know how this goes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the GM side of things!

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Nathanl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 am

I do have Java installed.
I'm using my account name (Nathanl) and my password for the server.cfg

I tried the host property with 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1'

When i first tried, it gave an error in the console, now it shuts down immediately.

The error said that the term 'Java' was not found or something.

Edit: I managed to get it to work by reinstalling Java. The server is running now, but how do i connect with it to play? Can i download a game client or do i have to play in the browser? Either way: how do i do it?
Nathanl

Postby lugdunon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

Excellent!

You may connect to the server via the web client available at http://alpha.lugdunon.net. Once you have logged in and are looking at the server selection screen, click the 'Add another server row at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.34.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.34.27 AM.png (85.21 KiB) Viewed 14965 times

Then enter your information into the dialog that appears:

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.34.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.34.42 AM.png (29.27 KiB) Viewed 14965 times

After you hit 'OK' you should see your new server entry in the list.

Be aware that using the loopback interface (127.0.0.1), you will only be able to connect to your server from that machine.

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Nathanl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks! The mistake i made was not filling in the right server adress! There is a graphical bug in there for me. It did not say 'Server adress', just 'server' so i put the name there, not the ip. :? :lol:
It's working now and i managed to play around with the GM tools a bit. I will post some feedback regarding my overall experience with the game soon :)
Nathanl

Postby lugdunon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Awesome!

These past few months have been spent getting all the major features and subsystems in place for beta, and the GM tools have kind of fallen behind the curve. While you can currently do a lot with the tools in game (terrain editing, placing and configuring items, recipe editing, etc) there is still a huge amount of work left to do to get everything in. For those things that can't yet be edited through the in-game editors, the server operator can still edit them by hand if they have a little knowledge of JSON, java, and some of the client/server APIs.

Once beta drops at the end of this month, I am going to be turning my attention back to the GM tooling side of things.

I look forward to your feedback!

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to GM and Custom Server Help!