Popups on screen

Popups on screen

Postby madetofall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi! First off, great game so far! It seems quite robust so I really have no "problems" thus far.

A suggestion I do have is in regards to text and boxes that occur on screen:

For example, I am currently farming wheat - this means that every time I cut down a stock it pops up my exp intake and what entered my inventory.
Also, literally everything has a health bar.
And every time I click on something it targets which brings up a target dialog, I have yet to find a way to remove that, except for killing whatever I have clicked on.

All in all, I think the amount of information displayed is a bit excessive and really isn't necessary majority of the time.
Further, the sudden display of text in the very center of the screen is extremely distracting, especially when you are farming some 50 crops one after another in quick succession.

I would really prefer that information to occur on the side of the screen so that it does not directly obscure my character and what I am trying to do. :)

Presently that's my only concern! Everything else seems pretty good so far! :D

Thanks for your work and I look forward to the future of this game!
--MadeToFall
madetofall

Location: Farming wheat on the KeatonStead just passed the wolves

Re: Popups on screen

Postby lugdunon » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:06 am

Hi there, and thanks for your suggestions!

madetofall wrote:For example, I am currently farming wheat - this means that every time I cut down a stock it pops up my exp intake and what entered my inventory.

This is a really good point. I spent some time thinking over this last night and I'll make a note to add support for client log filtering. This will allow you to filter out certain information that you don't personally care about.

madetofall wrote:Also, literally everything has a health bar.

You can disable character labels (and by proxy, their health bars) in the UI settings dialog. Hopefully that will take care of it for you. If not, let me know and I'll think on other ways to reduce the health bar clutter.

madetofall wrote:And every time I click on something it targets which brings up a target dialog, I have yet to find a way to remove that, except for killing whatever I have clicked on.

You can 'un-target' by hitting the ESC key.

madetofall wrote:All in all, I think the amount of information displayed is a bit excessive and really isn't necessary majority of the time.
Further, the sudden display of text in the very center of the screen is extremely distracting, especially when you are farming some 50 crops one after another in quick succession.

I would really prefer that information to occur on the side of the screen so that it does not directly obscure my character and what I am trying to do.

I'll make a note to add support for customizing the positioning of the log text. My current implementation of this feature bugs me anyways and is begging for a refactor. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions, and I should have some of these rectified in the next update!

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby madetofall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm

You can disable character labels (and by proxy, their health bars) in the UI settings dialog. Hopefully that will take care of it for you. If not, let me know and I'll think on other ways to reduce the health bar clutter.

Well, presently, when I open my settings and click on the UI tab, it doesn't load anything. It sticks on the last selected tab-content. I am playing this game with two of my friends and we all experienced this. For note, we chose to go with the standalone client so I have no idea if this is the same on the browser version. (see the attached image, I had selected "Volume" then selected "User Interface")

You can 'un-target' by hitting the ESC key.

Oh my gosh, you've just saved so many NPC's from my merciless slaughter.

I'll make a note to add support for customizing the positioning of the log text. My current implementation of this feature bugs me anyways and is begging for a refactor. :)

The system I personally like in games is to have text content (rewards, NPC chat, open chat, party chat, etc...) all part of the chat interface, with a short list of tabs that filter it down to just open chat or just world notes (wheat collected, exp rewards, etc...) or whatever. This system seems to offer full flexibility to the player on the fly without taking up unnecessary real-estate on the screen. Mabinogi has a pretty clean interface in this regard.

Thanks again for your suggestions, and I should have some of these rectified in the next update!

My friends and I are looking forward to the future of this game! Keep up the excellent work! :D
Attachments
lugdunon-1.jpg
lugdunon-1.jpg (143.91 KiB) Viewed 40224 times
madetofall

Postby lugdunon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 pm

I've logged the settings dialog issue you described and will have that fixed in the upcoming release.

I did take a stab at chat log / popup text filtering over the weekend, and have added a new tab to the settings dialog to allow the toggling of various notifications. I hope this will solve the issue of spammy notification text:

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 21.49.52.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 21.49.52.png (304.55 KiB) Viewed 40222 times

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby madetofall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Awesome! That should help out a lot during some of the more grind-y segments of game like farming. Just reducing the clutter during those times will clean up the screen immensely!
madetofall

Postby lugdunon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Yay! Do let me know (once this goes live) if there are any particular filter options that should be there that aren't.
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions