Private Server

Private Server

Postby Marxell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:55 am

Hello, i just stumbled across this game. It looks great and promising but i always like to play with my friends so i tried to make an won server, since the "official ones" are mostly empty. Now i have the problem, i dl the stuff and edited the server.cfg. I used as host "localhost" aswell as My name, game server, my ip and so on. Only local host works but then no one can join my server. I also tried to let the server run in localhost and sent my ip to my friends hoping they could join since i used 127.0.0.1 as ip...
Now, i dont know how to continue :) any help is welcome :) thanks and greetz from germany ;)

Rador/Marxell
"Life has a bad story, but the graphic rocks"
Marxell

Re: Private Server

Postby lugdunon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:50 am

Hi there,

I am very pleased that you wish to set up a server for you and your friends to play! Let's see if we can work out a way for you to do so.

If you set it up as localhost, or the virtual loopback interface (127.0.0.1), no one will be able to connect to your server but yourself as that address is only accessible to the machine that the server is running on.

What you will need to do is set the host property to an ip address that is accessible to other machines. You can find your machine's local network address (if your friends are connecting via a local network) by using the ipconfig console command in windows, or the ifconfig command in macos / linux.

Alternatively, if you need to make the server accessible to your friends via the internet, things get a little more complicated. All the necessary security caveats apply here, so be sure that you know what you are doing so that you don't open your network, or machine, up to unwanted access. With that said, you can check out this article, namely the sections marked "Port Forwarding", "Setting up a VPN", "IP address notes", and "Firewalling, NATs and external IP addresses" for some insight on getting this accomplished.

Hopefully this helps, and you are able to set up a server for you and your friends to play on! Please do not hesitate to let me know if you are having any other issues getting things going.
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Marxell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 am

Hey, i tried to use my ip address (whatismyipadress.com) but then i get in the server0.log the error :
03/01/2014 15:52:10.343 SEVERE Multiple exceptions
MultiException[java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind, java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind]
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:255)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
at net.lugdunon.Server.main(Unknown Source)
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:182)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:260)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:273)
java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:182)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:260)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:273)

And this is what i have in my server.cfg:
server.name=Haven
host =79.***.***.***
ws.port =11111
su.account =********
su.password=********

And the content of the run.bat:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms256M -jar lugdunon-server.jar

I also opened the ports in my router :)
Marxell

Postby lugdunon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:23 am

Ah, ok. It sounds to me like you are running the server from behind a router or firewall. In that case, you'll need to follow link I posted in the earlier reply about port forwarding, etc.

Specifically you'll need to get your the ip address of your machine on the local network (this usually starts with 192 or 10) and use that as the value of the host property. You would then have to set up port forwarding and then give your friends the address you discovered using whatismyipaddress.com.

Hope this helps!
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Marxell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Hey, i tried that. I can start the server with the local ip and i can play on it. Sadly my friends cant access it with the external ip i gave them. I used the portforwarding but they see only the ip and the country.

When i get back home tomorrow ill try it with hamachi to check where the error might happen ;)

Will update as soon as i can :)

Yours Rador/Marxell
Marxell

Postby Marxell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey, thanks again for helping me to get my server + world running :) that will be a lot of fun ;) +1 for great support and a great work :)
Marxell

Postby lugdunon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:12 am

My pleasure!

It was very nice chatting with you, and thank you as well for sticking with it and getting things up and running!
lugdunon
Site Admin

Return to GM and Custom Server Help!