Some ideas

Some ideas

Postby Marxell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Hello,

i'd like to post some ideas. No clue if anyone likes them or not so ill just write down what i have:

1) Melting of metals: Instead of using the smelter combined with the crafting menue how about adding a smelter with an own "inventory". I refer in this topic to a game called haven and hearth. there you need coal which can be used at fuel at the smelter and the ore that can be put into the "smelters inventory" which can hold up to 25 "items". Since ore is not stackable in that game i guess it would fit in here like it does in minecraft. Simply melting by time :)

2) Expanding woods: As we know in the game called "real world" (bad story but booojaaaah graphic) forrests expand if they have the space to do so. It would be nice to see a chance that new trees grow at the sorrounding of a forrest. Also maybe an increase of the time a tree needs to regrow (same as flowers, metals etc). That way materials are kind of "valuable".

3) Individual area/biomes/landscape: As i mentioned above it would be nice to see a individual landscape. Therefore it would be nice to to simply find metal in a cave but maybe really "dig" in the mountain. Like you can build a minehole and then expand the minehole by mining the tiles around the initial minehole. Maybe even without to know exactly which metals are down there. That way it would boost the economy :)

4) economy (should have put that to point 3): I would love to see an economy in the game. Like the marketplace in the initial town it would be cool to have the ability to build a marketplace and hire an npc that sells the items you offer. You can put a price up and the npc takes an ammount of 2% of the price as taxes/payment.

5) Currency: As i loved the mod in mincecraft and the barterstands in haven a currency improves the gameplay a lot. For example point nr.4.
Another possibilitie of a currency is point 6.

6) Buying land: With the use of a currency it would be nice to be able to buy land from an "gouvernment npc". Like 5 gold per tile. Therefore by asking the npc to buy land he could show up the map of the influenced area of the government and you could select an area tile by tile. For example you want to buy an area of 20x20 tiles it would cost you a total value of 2000 gold.
That way player could help to enliven the area.

Much more to come if wanted. otherwise ill stop here for now :) thanks for your patience

Rador
"Life has a bad story, but the graphic rocks"
Marxell

Re: Some ideas

Postby lugdunon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:36 am

Hi Rador!

Thanks for your suggestions. These are all great ideas, and some of them will most likely be implemented in the core game before release, while the rest could be modded in by others.

Claiming land can currently be done simply by fencing it in. Gates can be locked using the access restriction mechanic (more about that can be found at: http://www.indiedb.com/games/lugdunon/news/alpha-057a-released). Trees and flowers can also be dug up with the shovel and replanted. Once replanted, that resource becomes locked to the player that planted it. This does add a certain small element of resource contention among a player base. That is until someone digs up all the trees, and then they own production... :twisted:

• As fate should have it, I am actually working on adding currency and NPC vendors to the game as we speak. I am also adding a new crafting discipline to allow players to actually mint coins from mined materials. Look for this in the next release cycle.
  • Discoverable mines. This will be going in sometime in the near future. I am planning on having a prospecting tool / skill that will allow players to search for likely mining spots and then establish a claim. They will also be able to place a building atop the mine entrance to restrict access to their mine much like housing is done now. This mine will link to an instance that can be excavated much like you described above.
  • Biomes and expanding growth of flora and fauna is definitely something I want to tackle before release.

Thanks again for your interest and ideas, your input is very important! :D
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Marxell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:52 am

Thats awesome! :)
I love the way all this is going :)
Just a little idea, what would you say, if player had the ability to "rotate" furniture?
And maybe, to improve "roleplay" in the later development state it might be cool to allow players to marry a player or adopt/get children (maybe player aswell).

Those ideas are just some gimnicks and not that important but might be nice in the end ;)
Marxell

Postby lugdunon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

More great ideas! :)

Rotation of placed items is currently supported in game. It is part of the general configuration of placed items, which can be accomplished by 'using' a wrench on them once placed.
GMs can configure the placeable state a whole range of items, including brew kegs, grain sacks, market stalls, lighting fixtures, and jack-o-lanterns.

Currently chairs are the only item that is rotatable by general players however, but the underlying code to support more is there!
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby grubblyplank » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi Rador,

This is Ashley, Lugdunon's community person, I am handling some marketing and testing as well. I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions, they are very important.

Please keep the feedback coming! Like Chris said above, your ideas are great ones. I personally like the roleplay improvement idea of allowing marriage and children, as well as buying land.

Would you mind if I ask your opinion on something? -> What did you think about the ease of learning to play, in general?
grubblyplank

Postby Marxell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Sweet! That makes it easier for me ;)

Btw, i tried to add the other houses to the recipes. Is there a possibility to add "all" items of the game into the recipe editor? I tried e.g. the limestone house. That would make the world more individual :)

Uhm... That might be a little tricky. But what do you think about giving player the ability to "tame animals" or buy them for you own little farm?

And maybe a kind of transportation ;) like wagon, carts, boats ships and horses?

Yours Rador/Marxell
Marxell

Postby Marxell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 pm

grubblyplank wrote:Hi Rador,

This is Ashley, Lugdunon's community person, I am handling some marketing and testing as well. I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions, they are very important.

Please keep the feedback coming! Like Chris said above, your ideas are great ones. I personally like the roleplay improvement idea of allowing marriage and children, as well as buying land.

Would you mind if I ask your opinion on something? -> What did you think about the ease of learning to play, in general?

Hey :) youre welcome :) as i think a good game is as rare as an developer who is open for input that also might throw a different light on the idea he/she self had. I know a game is like a little child and since the devs put so much effort to fullfill his/her dreams and ideas. Thats why i am thankfull the way you act ;) I wish i could help you more to fullfill your dream :)

To your issue :)

I think due to the questline it is quite simple and very newcomer friendly. I am atm in trouble about how to get seeds but thats just a small point ;) I think the wiki is a perfect way to take a new player on the hand and lead him/her through the background of the game ;)

Atm i still have issues with the personal server, but i am working to get that solved so my friends and other people can join :D

I have a little question: How big can the world be? ;) I am currently expanding the island on my server and would like to know if it is unlimited expandable or does it have invisible borders in some case?

But i have to say the game + the wiki is a very nice way to explain, learn and explore :)

I myself have the high hope that the game can be, through modding or as development step, deeper. Like beside the material it might be nice to see the skill affecting the items quality. Like a common stone pickaxe does 4-8 dmg while a sturdy bronze pickaxe does 8-9. The better the quality the better the result.

As i said id like to help you :) I hope it is not too stressy to understand what i am writing since english is not my native language :)

Yours Rador/Marxell
Marxell

Postby lugdunon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 am

I am glad that you are finding the wiki useful. One task on my list of to-dos is to get the content that is up there updated, and another is to flesh out the modding sections to provide a more in-depth look at the APIs for modding the server and client.

Thanks for your input on the introductory quest line. I'll be adding a secondary questing hub in Bibracte (the town to the north) shortly that will introduce combat. I have the text already written, I just need to find the time to actually put it all together in game.

The quality aspect imparted by a crafter's skill is an intriguing one. I love this idea and just might have to make it real.

The world map is of finite size and wraps on itself. For instance if the map size is 512, and you proceed horizontally from the 511th to the 512th tile, you will actually find yourself on the 0th tile.

When creating a new map (details can be found on the wiki at http://wiki.lugdunon.net/w/?title=Terrain_Generation), you can define the map size as a power of two. The default map is 512x512, but you can go much larger, depending on your server's available memory. The largest I have personally tested was 8192x8192 and it was absolutely massive, coming in at roughly 67 square kilometers (if we reckon a map tile to be a meter square).

Hopefully the server issue you are encountering will be resolved with hamachi. Please let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work out, maybe we can try skyping together or something to try and figure out a solution.

Cheers,
Chris
lugdunon
Site Admin

Postby Marxell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Hey there :) Can you give me a hint how to exactly expand the world size? ;)

And i couldt get my friends on my server :/ each time i do as the explanation told me, with portforwarding and so on. now, when i give him my ex-ip he just sees my country and thats it :/

Have a nice day :)
Marxell

Postby lugdunon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 pm

World Size:

You can't expand an existing world's boundaries automatically. However, you can either export the existing world's terrain data using the net.lugdunon.world.terrain.Terrain generation utility to dump it to an image file, or start from scratch.

Once you have an expanded terrain image set, you can then generate a terrain data file by using the same utility. There is a small writeup on the wiki, but it could probably be further expanded.

Server Connection Issues:

I just experimented with port forwarding locally and everything seemed to work fine. Maybe we can get together at some point to figure the problem out. It would make for a good writeup on the wiki to help others if we can get it solved.

Access To Seeds:

One way to gain access to all the seeds available currently is to use one of the farmer premades when creating a new character. They should set you up with everything (items, and advancements) needed to get farming.

0.5.11 will bring vendors, and the very first vendor I am implementing is a farming one. ;)
lugdunon
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ideas